Singing In Worship (Part 1)
Singing has a very definite place in worshipping God in spirit and in truth.
We glorify God in our singing praises to His name. There are only nine
scriptures in the New Testament which specify the kind of music in the
worship of the church that God wishes in order for us to worship Him in
spirit and in truth. They are as follows:
(1) Matthew 26:30, "And when they
had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives";
16:25, "But at midnight, Paul and Silas were praying and singing
hymns to God";
(3) Romans 15:9, "For this reason I will confess you
among the Gentiles, and sing to your name";
(4) 1 Corinthians 14:15,
"I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the
(5) Ephesians 5:19, "Speaking to one another in psalms
and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to
(6) Colossians 3:16, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you
richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns
and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord";
(7) Hebrews 2:12, "In the midst of the assembly I will sing praise
(8) Hebrews 13:15, "Therefore by Him let us continually offer
the sacrifice of praise to God, that is the fruit of our lips, giving
thanks to His name";
(9) James 5:13, "Is any among you suffering? Let
him pray. Is any cheerful? Let him sing psalms."
exception specify only singing. Mechanical instruments of music in the worship
of the church are not mentioned in the above scriptures or anywhere else in the
New Testament because God has not authorized them. Those who do not
respect God's word do not respect God.
God has commanded us to sing.
That means each one of us. When people just sit
through the song service and never attempt to sing (unless they can't sing) they are not obeying God.
when people just sit and listen to a choir sing they are not obeying Godís
command to sing. They are not "offering the fruit of our lips".
someone else worship for us? I think not. There
is no Biblical authority for a choir. Congregational A Capella singing is the
only kind of music divinely authorized by the Lord for Christian worship.
If we follow only what God has authorized in our singing in worship, then the
whole congregation will sing without mechanical instruments of music.
Questions Lesson 17
Singing In Worship (Part 1)
(click on the button of the answer of your
1) (Matthew 26:30) What did Christ and His apostles do before they went to the
Mount of Olives?
Went home first.
Took a nap.
Sung a hymn.
Singing is part of our worship to God.
3) (Acts 16:25) While Paul and Silas were in jail
They prayed and sang hymns to God.
They were trying to break out.
They were crying.
While in jail Paul played the guitar while Silas played the drums as they
sang hymns to God.
5) (1 Corinthians 14:15) What are we to sing with?
The spirit and the understanding.
The above verse tells us we are to sing with a five piece band.
7) (Ephesians 5:19) When we sing praises to God, where are we to make the
On a piano.
On an organ.
In our heart.
We are speaking to one another as we sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual
9) (Colossians 3:16) As we sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs we are to
sing with what?
Grace in our hearts.
We teach and admonish one another as we sing.
11) (Hebrews 13:15) The sacrifice of praise that we offer to God when we sing to
Can be performed on a piano.
Can be performed when we donít sing.
Is referred to as the fruit of our lips.
The sacrifice of praise we give to God is the fruit of our lips as we
Copyright © 2001