We Fall From God’s Grace And Be Lost?
Can a Christian fall from God’s grace and be eternally lost? Let us see what God has said about this in the Bible. Let’s let the Bible answer this question.
1) 1 Corinthians 10:12 “Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.” Why such a warning if it is impossible to fall from grace?
2) Galatians 5:4 “You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.” Isn’t it strange, that people who say they believe the Bible also say that we cannot fall from grace, when the Bible so plainly says that we can fall from grace? Who should we believe, man or God? How much clearer could the Bible have said this?
3) Romans 8:12-13 “Therefore, brethern, we are debtors not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.” Paul is talking to Christians and tells them if they live according to the flesh you will die spiritually. In other words you will be lost.
4) James 5:19-20 “Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.” The Bible here says that a believer can wander from the truth and be lost. But also one who wanders from the truth can be won back.
5) 1 Corinthians 9:27 “But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.” Even the apostle Paul knew it was possible for him to become a castaway and be lost even after he had preached to others.
6) 2 Peter 2:20-22 “For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the later end is worse for them than the beginning. For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: a dog returns to his own vomit and a sow, having been washed, to her wallowing in the mire.” Can one turn from the way of righteousness after they have escaped the pollutions of the world? The Bible says so. Will this cause them to be lost? Yes. This is a description of the pitiful state of one who turns away from God after they have been saved. In other words they have become lost after they were saved.
7) 1 Corinthians 8:11 “And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died.” The Bible says that a weak brother can perish.
8) Revelations 2:10 “Be faithful until death and I will give you the crown of life.” Eternal life is conditional on one remaining faithful. What will happen if one does not remain faithful until death?
9) 1 Corinthians 15:2 “By which you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.” Will you be saved if you do not hold fast to the word of God? One’s salvation is conditioned on “if you hold fast”.
10) 2 Peter 1:10 “Therefore brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble.” A Christian’s election is not a sure thing or such a command would not have been given in the Bible.
11) Hebrews 3:12 “Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God.” So the Bible says that a Christian can depart and leave God if he develops an evil heart of unbelief.
12) Luke 8:13 Jesus says “But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.” The Bible says that believers can fall away, but some men say differently. Who are we going to believe: men or God?
13) 1 Timothy 4:1 “Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons.” The Bible says we can depart from the faith. What happens when we depart from the faith in God? We are lost.
14) 1 Timothy 5:12 “Having condemnation because they have cast off their first faith.” They were once saved but are now condemned. Why were they now condemned and lost? Because they had cast off their first faith.
The false doctrine, that a child of God cannot so sin as to fall from God's grace and be eternally lost, is a lie of Satan. This same lie was told by Satan in the Garden of Eden to Eve, when he said "You will not surely die" (Genesis 3:4). Satan told Eve that disobedience to God would not result in death, but it did. This false doctrine is also referred to as “once saved, always saved” or “the impossibility of apostasy”. This is one of the many lies Satan tells today to cause many people to be eternally lost. Satan wants us to be complacent and not be concerned about being lost. When Satan accomplishes this he has the battle won with us.