By Ron Boatwright
1) God is the
Creator of All Things. Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God
created the heavens and the earth." If it wasnít for God all things would
come to an immediate halt and everything would cease to exist.
2) God is All Powerful. (omnipotent) Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." God can do anything that is not inconsistent with His nature. Genesis 18:25, "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" The limitations on Godís power are imposed by Himself. Hebrews 6:18, "That by two immutable things in which it is impossible for God to lie." God never grows weary. Isaiah 40:28, "The everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator never faints nor is weary."
3) God is All Knowing. (omniscient) God knows all things. Romans 11:33, "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out." There is nothing that God does not know. Matthew 10:29-30, "Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Fatherís will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered."
4) God is Everywhere. (omnipresent) God is everywhere at every moment in time. Psalms 139:7-12, "Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into Heaven, You are there. If I make my bed in Hell, behold You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even Your hand shall lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me. If I say surely the darkness shall fall on me; indeed the darkness shall not hide from You, but the night shines as the day; the darkness and the light are both alike to you."
5) God is Spirit. John 4:24, "God is Spirit and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth." God is invisible.
6) God is Eternal. Psalms 90:2, "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God." God always has been and always will be. It is impossible for us to grasp the term of eternity. God is not governed by time. 2 Peter 3:8, "Beloved do not forget this one thing, that one day with the Lord is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as a day."
7) God is Holy. He is spiritually perfect and is to be regarded with deep respect and reverence. Revelation 15:4, "Who shall fear You, O Lord, and glorify Your name? For You alone are holy."
8) God is Changeless. He does not change otherwise He would not be perfect. He is not different from one time to another. Both God and Christ do not change. Hebrews 13:8, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."
9) God is Righteous. God will always do what is right. He will never do wrong. He will always do what He says. He is just. Romans 3:26, "To demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus." By Jesus taking our punishment, God can now be just in making us righteous by the death of His Son. Because God is righteous He shows no partiality. Romans 2:11 says, "For there is no partiality with God."
10) God is All Wise. Only God has all wisdom. 1 Timothy 1:17 says, "Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory for ever and ever." We can obtain wisdom from God simply by asking. James 1:5 says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given him."
11) God is Truth. In John 17:17 Jesus prays to God, "Sanctify them by Your truth, Your word is truth." God cannot lie. Hebrews 6:18 says, "It is impossible for God to lie." So what God says in His word, we can count on it.
12) God is a Jealous God. God will not tolerate idols of any kind. Exodus 34:14 says, "For you shall worship no other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous is a jealous God." 1 Kings 14:22 says, "Now Judah did evil in the sight of the Lord, and they provoked Him to jealousy with their sins which they committed, more than all that their Fathers had done." God will not tolerate sin.
13) God is Just and Vengeful. Romans 3:26 says, "To demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus." God will always do the right thing. Hebrews 10:30-31 says, "For we know Him who said, vengeance is Mine, I will repay, says the Lord. And again, the Lord will judge His people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." His justice demands that He punish those who disobey Him and donít repent.
14) God is Love. John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
15) God is Longsuffering and Forgiving. 2 Peter 3:9 says, "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering to us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." Even with the longsuffering of God, peopleís time will run out. God wants to forgive us but it is up to us to come to Him and obey Him.